photo f_recipes.jpg" />

Friday, January 13, 2012

That Girl

I've always dreamed of being That Girl. She's the one I would pass in my car as I was driving into work. It didn't matter the weather, That Girl was outside running. I admired her focus, determination, and dedication. I'd drive by her, wishing that I could be dedicated enough, fit enough... I wanted to be like That Girl.

This morning I stepped into my running shoes, strapped on my Garmin Forerunner, and hit the pavement to train for the 5K I'm doing on February 5th. Did I mention it was 32 degrees and WINDY this morning?

So cold.

So windy.

My nose was dripping like a faucet.

But I did it.

And I actually ran more than I walked.

Then it occurred to me: I was That Girl this morning. I was the girl I dreamed of being. I was out in the freezing cold, running as much as my lungs and legs would let me. And it felt awesome.

I'm so glad the old me started pursuing her dream of being That Girl. I'm glad she didn't give up when she could barely do 10 minutes at 3.0 on the treadmill. I'm glad Old Me believed in something that seemed impossible. I know she would be proud that her hard work and determination not to give up in those early days would yield a sweet reward. There are still more rewards to come, but it does feel good to savor moments like this.

And now... That Girl needs a shower. Dedication has a smelly price.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...