photo f_recipes.jpg" />

Friday, October 4, 2013

Love Take Me Over

Sometimes, I get so caught up in the doing, the lists, the getting-things-accomplished that the right side of my brain starves. I start to consider the list, the what-needs-to-get-done, more important than people.


Last year, around my surgery, I promised myself I would be different.

I promised myself I'd spend more time listening to people and paying attention to them.

I promised myself I wouldn't let the to-do list overwhelm my need to love others.


The other day, I had a "promise check" when I actually wished someone would leave me alone and not tell me their happy news because I had things that needed to get done. 

I was choosing things over people again. I had to stop to course correct my attitude. 

I turned away from what I was doing and focused solely on what the person was saying. You know what the other person said after our conversation? "Thanks for listening - I really appreciate it." 


One thing I've learned about people is they just want to be heard. They want to know someone is listening and that someone cares about them.

I think our greatest need is to know and feel love. I'm not talking romance; I'm talking genuine love is a verb, an action kind of love. It's love that listens, that pays attention, that says "You're more important to me than anything - including this phone call, this Facebook alert that popped up on my cell, anything." That's the kind of love I'm aiming for in my relationships.

How can I leave someone feeling and being better and knowing that someone cares about them?



If you haven't heard it yet, take a listen to this new song from Steven Curtis Chapman. It's called "Love Take Me Over." Every time the song comes on the radio I make it my "promise check" and my prayer...

So I'm praying, Father, help my heart believe
That right now You're singing over me
And fill me up with Your love

Love, take these words that I'm speaking
Love, take these thoughts that I'm thinking
Love, take me over
Love, fill up all of my space and
Love, come stand right here in my place
Love, hear this prayer that I'm praying
Love, take me, love, take me over

Now... I'm going to go love some people today and not let the list get in the way of doing it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...