photo f_recipes.jpg" />

Sunday, October 24, 2010

Smashed Potatoes

I heart mashed potatoes.

I heart baked potatoes.

I heart french fries.

I heart tater tots.

I heart pan fried potatoes.

I simply {heart} potatoes.

What I really heart about potatoes are the things that go on top of them and in them: bacon, cheddar, sour cream, butter, cream. Did I mention sour cream? I heart sour cream too.

I was reading a womany magazine and a dietitian said to forgo butter and sour cream and use a squeeze of lemon juice on a baked potato instead. "It adds flavor without the calories," she said. If I had a lemon, I'd throw it at the skinny little twig of a woman. When I want a potato, I WANT A POTATO and I want it EVERYTHING on it! Don't give me no squeeze of lemon. That's an insult.



So is it possible to have potatoes without all the butter, sour cream, bacon, and glorious, oh so glorious, cheese? I can say with all confidence, "YES." Even better, not a lick o' lemon in sight.

The trick to making these Smashed Potatoes is using Yukon Gold potatoes. You can get them at the grocery store, and you can even find them at WalMart, 'cause that's where I picked up a bag of them (their bag says 'yellow gold' on the front). Yukon Gold potatoes have a buttery, creamy texture that is just. to. die. for.

If you make mashed potatoes for Thanksgiving, try these in place of regular russet potatoes.

Trust me.

You will be the hero of Thanksgiving.

I will not require you to thank me.

It can be our secret.

If you are of child bearing age, you can name your next child after me. Erin is great name for a boy (Aaron) or girl.

It's a great name on a fish too. Or a dog. No cats though.


. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Smashed Potatoes

1 small/medium Yukon Gold potato
1 tsp olive oil
1/4 tsp minced garlic
salt
pepper
butter spray
chives for garnish

Directions
Wash the potato well and dry it off. Pierce potato 3 or 4 times with a fork. Pop in the microwave and cook on high for 3-5 minutes until potato is done.

While the potato is nuking, heat 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil in a small saucepan. Oil should be hot by the time the potato is done.

Pull the potato out of the oven and place on the counter. Place a clean towel over the potato and gently press down on the potato.

Drop the garlic in the hot oil and saute in the pan for about 15 seconds. Carefully put the smashed potato in the pan. Cook on one side for 4-5 minutes to get the one side crispy.

Slide the potato out of pan and add the other 1/2 tsp of oil to the pan and swirl it around. Put the uncooked side of the potato on to the pan and cook another 4-5 minutes until crispy.

Slide on to a plate and sprinkle with salt, pepper, and chives. If you want it, go ahead and spritz it with some butter spray...but you really won't need it. Can't you just imagine this gorgeous potato next to a delightful steak?


. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Serves: 1
Calories: 200 | Fat: 4.5 | Carbs: 36 | Fiber: 4
Weight Watchers Points: 3

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...