photo f_recipes.jpg" />

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Broiled Tomatoes with Goat Cheese


I'm unusual.

If you haven't figured that out by now...well...where have you been??

{Family - you can stop laughing now, K?}

My parents, who recognize their daughter is wired a little different, ventured into an Asian market to get me one of the coolest birthday presents ever: a kiwano melon. They didn't know what it was, I didn't know what it was, but we tried it.

And we lived to tell about it.


When I was at the grocery store this weekend, I had my hand on the regular old red tomatoes when a package of Kumato tomatoes caught my eye. I paused. What were they? Brown tomatoes? What are brown tomatoes? They were the same price. Why not try something different? I put the red tomatoes back and put the Kumato tomatoes in my basket.


The skin is a greenish brown and the flesh is a pinkish brownish green.


I sliced the rest of the tomato and arranged the slices in an oven safe dish (this little dish is the bonus of buying Archer Farms Creme Brulee from Target).


I drizzled a little olive oil over the tomatoes...


Sprinkled on some sea salt...


Added some cracked pink peppercorn pepper and freshly torn basil...


And then I dabbed a little goat cheese over the whole thing. Oh, yeah. That's happy.


I popped it under the broiler for about 8 minutes to warm the tomatoes and brown the cheese. Have I ever mentioned how much I love the toaster oven? I love it.


And that's what it looks like when you pull it out. The tomatoes are roasted and the cheese is bubbling and brown.


And this is how I enjoyed it. For breakfast. I could have had a bowl of oatmeal...but why eat oatmeal for breakfast when I could have this bit of awesomenes??




And, boy, was it good.



Signature




. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .


Broiled Kumato Tomatoes with Goat Cheese
Try a Roma tomato or halved grape tomatoes in place of the Kumatoes.

1 Kumato tomato
1/2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
1 fresh basil leaf
1/2 ounce goat cheese
sea salt
pepper

Preheat broiler.

Slice tomato and arrange slices in an oven safe dish.

Drizzle with olive oil.

Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.

Tear (or roughly chop) basil leaf and sprinkle on top.

Dab on goat cheese.

Broil for 6-8 minutes or until goat cheese is brown and bubbly.

Eat and feel your taste buds flutter with happiness.


Alternative idea: don't have a single serving heat proof dish? Get thee to the land of happiness known as Home Goods, and buy one for $3.99! Orrrrrr, you could line a sheet pan with foil, slice the tomato in half, drizzle halves with olive oil, sprinkle with salt, pepper, torn basil, and dot with goat cheese. Broil, serve, and throw away the foil...no need to clean a pan ;-)



. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Serves 1
Calories: 80 | Fat: 5.6 | Carbs: 3.9 | Fiber: 0.9 | Protein: 3.3

{2 Weight Watchers Points Plus}


1 comment:

  1. this is too cool. thanks for sharing... now I have to go to the grocery store!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...