photo f_recipes.jpg" />

Friday, August 5, 2011

Titanic (Zucchini) Brownies

"I think you should call them 'Titanic Brownies,'" my brother mumbled from the general direction of the kitchen. I didn't have to see him to know that he was leaning over the pan, evaluating the brownies with his nose crinkled in mild disdain.

"Why?" I asked, ready for whatever his smart reply was going to be.

"Because they're going down."

Hmph.

"Maybe going down the hatch in a flame of awesomeness!" I replied back.

He mumbled something that I missed. I could tell he wasn't a fan of my zucchini brownies. He's not a big fan of putting vegetables in sweet things. Actually, he's not a fan of my cooking in general. Except for my chocolate chip cookies.

And that's OK.




I, however, am a big fan of these brownies. Mainly because I can't see or taste the zucchini.

I am sick of zucchini.

There.

I said it.

I am sick of zucchini. And tomatoes. And, really, any vegetable and fruit.

I want carbs.

Desperately.

And not good carbs either. I want cakes and cookies and pies and fries. And so this week I've enjoyed every carb without a positive nutritional value on the planet and barely any fruit or vegetables or water. And you know what? I feel awful. Dreadful. Horrible. I feel like Templeton the Rat, from Charlotte's Web, when he lost his mind and ate everything at the fair.



These zucchini brownies were my final hurrah. I needed to use up zucchini and I figured I could combine what I really wanted with something healthy. They're moist and fudgey and you'd never know there was zucchini inside. They're fantastic.

But...I literally can't eat one more carb.

In moderation, these brownies are fine, but since I haven't been practicing moderation, they're just one more thing. Anyway, today I am detoxing from my indulgences. I'm back on track. Back to eating living, clean, whole foods. Back to drinking hydrating water.

My brother's right. These are Titanic Brownies. They're what took me down. But I found a life preserver, I swam back to shore, and I'm drying off today.

And the brownies are going with me to work for someone else to enjoy.

KERPLOOEY <---that was the sound of me crashing and burning.

Signature



. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .



Titanic (Zucchini) Brownies
Recipe adapted from A Full Measure of Happiness


1 egg
2 tsps vanilla
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsps baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 Starbucks VIA packet (or 2 Tbls instant coffee)
2 cups shredded zucchini
1 cup mini chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9x9in square pan with non stick cooking spray.

Combine the egg, vanilla, sugar, and oil in the bowl of a mixer and mix for one minute or until combined.

Place the flours, cocoa, baking soda, salt, and VIA in a medium sized bowl and stir until evenly mixed.

Pour the flour mixture into the wet mixture and mix on low speed until combined. Mixture will be very thick.

Remove bowl from mixer and stir in zucchini.

Stir in mini chocolate chips.

Pour into pan and bake for 35-45 minutes or until a few moist crumbs stick to a tooth pick or cake tester.

Cool and then devour. But not all at once. Make sure to share, OK?



. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Makes: 16 brownies | Serving Size: 1 brownie
Calories: 188 | Fat: 8.5 | Carbs: 30 | Fiber: 2.3 | Protein: 1.7

{5 Points+}

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...