photo f_recipes.jpg" />

Friday, November 4, 2011

I Signed Up For This?? Yes!

He reached his hand down to help me up from where I was laying, sweat pouring off my forehead. I was completely dead from the workout he just put me through.

"No," I said swatting his hand away. "I am going to stand up on my own, Phil. I may look pathetic, but you have not broken me!"

Phil, the personal trainer, grinned at me while I hoisted myself up off the ground. "Good, I was going to make you get up yourself anyway."

I reached for my water bottle and cut my eyes at him. "You are a cruel man, Phil. Cruel. And yet you are growing on me."

My free personal training session was complete. One day later, I'm FULLY aware of the muscles in my stomach, legs, back, and neck thanks to Phil. Holy moly. I can even feel the muscles in my jaw. I'm sure there are more muscles, but they were too scared to show themselves. And for that, I thank those little muscles.

A personal trainer is not my thing. But when I swapped my old gym for one closer to my house, the membership came with a free session, and since I love me a bargain, I took them up on the offer.

Ooooooooohhhhh.

Hooooowwwwwwllllllllll.

Ouch.


That's why a personal trainer is not my thing. As much as I want to joke that it was an offer I should have refused, the truth is, my weight loss journey has stalled and I need the kick in the pants. Why has it stalled? It stalled because I put the brakes on the health wagon, hopped off, pulled up a recliner right next to the health wagon, put my feet up ...and somehow expected things to keep going.

It didn't.

So now, I'm faced with the cold hard truth that I've gained back almost 8 of the 45lbs that I've lost.

That is not acceptable.

I've come to a point where I need help and it's OK to admit that. I recognize that to go to the next part of my health and fitness journey, I need to have someone lead me. I need to be accountable to someone. I can make all the excuses in the world to myself (not enough time, it's too cold outside, I've got too much work, etc), so I need someone who will blast through the excuses and hold me to it.

I'll let you know if Phil is able to do that. I've signed up for 2 sessions a week with him for the next 12 weeks. He will know if I'm not putting the effort in to this because it will show up in my workout, and I won't want to disappoint him. Should I mention that these 12 weeks will occur over Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years?

Yeah.

Here's the thing - I don't plan on giving up Christmas cookies or any of the fun, holiday treats. Why? Because Christmas cookies aren't bad - eating too many of them is the culprit. That much I've learned. I've also learned that I make time for the things I really want to do. So, I'm going to make a 12 week commitment and investment in my fitness and my health.

Plus I signed a contract, so there's no getting out of it either.

Unless I hurt myself.

And I'm not that desperate.

Yet.


Signature

1 comment:

  1. Erin - I'll be pulling for you! I decided on November 1st, that I needed to get back into exercising and so far, so good....(of course it's only been 4 days :)). jules

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...