photo f_recipes.jpg" />

Thursday, May 31, 2012

Last Leg Asparagus Salad

This was breakfast.

I don't know how it happened, but I some how ran out of fruit.

I mean, I know how it happened. I ate it. I watched myself eat it. And I even reminded myself that I needed to go to the store. But I think, deep down inside, I secretly hoped the Organic Fruit Fairy would magically visit over night and leave me a bounty of bananas, mangos, and strawberries on my counter.

Apparently the Organic Fruit Fairy doesn't exist. Or I've offended her. Or him. Organic fruit fairies can be boys too.

I started digging through what I had on hand and found some asparagus that was about two days away from being not awesome. Totally on its last leg. I paid $3 for that bunch, so I figured I'd better eat it up. Truthfully, I would have preferred to drizzle the asparagus spears with olive oil, sprinkle it with some kosher salt, and roast it at 400 degrees for 15 minutes or so. But I'm trying to do the raw food thing and not kill the nutrients by cooking it. But really...roasted...it's so delicious. Wrapped in some prosciutto and then roasted? Heavenly. And a little sprinkle of shaved parmesan cheese? Over the top. Ovvvver the top.

Back to reality. I also discovered some cauliflower as I was digging around. It was on its last leg as well. I'm really doing a good job of making my breakfast sound appealing, right? To be honest, I am proud of me because I chose to eat what was on hand instead of eating something not on the raw food plan. Waste not want not, isn't that the saying?

Some quick facts about asparagus (I'm not a genius - I just found this stuff on the web, which means it has to be true):

  • Asparagus has 288 milligrams of potassium, 3 grams of fiber, up to 5 grams of protein, and only 40 calories per cup.
  • Asparagus is high in folate, which helps reduce inflammation in the body and reduce the risk of heart disease.
  • Asparagus is also ridiculously high in Vitamin K - almost 70% of the RDA is in one cup. Vitamin K keeps bones strong and helps in (healthy) blood clotting.

So this morning, I made what I call Last Leg Asparagus Salad, since most of the ingredients were on their last leg. Still pretty tasty. Don't skip zesting the lime. The zest really brightens the dish and makes it taste happy.


Last Leg Asparagus Salad

Salad
1 bunch asparagus, cut into 1 inch pieces (approximately 2 cups)
2 Tbls finely chopped red onion
1/2 cup chopped cauliflower
zest of lime


Dressing
1 Tbls olive oil
2 tsps lime juice
salt and pepper to taste


Directions
In a medium sized bowl, toss the salad ingredients together. In a small bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients together. Pour dressing over salad, toss, and serve.

Serves two.

Per serving: 3 Weight Watchers Points+



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...