photo f_recipes.jpg" />

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

A Day in Erin's Food Diary

Lately, I've been receiving a lot of questions from friends about what I typically eat on a raw food diet. When I tell people the majority of my meals are non-cooked foods - more specifically raw fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, and oils - I can see the mental picture that pops up over their head: a big plate of iceberg lettuce with carrot shreds, chopped tomatoes, and ranch dressing on the side. I can assure you that there is no way on earth I'd eat that unless I was forced to. Heavens, no. I like variety; I like the art of food; I love food WAY too much to ever eat another iceberg lettuce salad.

So if I don't eat iceberg lettuce salads, what do I eat? I eat organic, fresh dishes. Yes, it does involve prep work, but not much more than having to drive some place to get "fast food," and it's better for me. No, it's really not much more expensive to eat "healthy." I've just swapped my budget. What I used to spend on eating out and buying packaged food, I now funnel into purchasing fresh items that I prepare and my body recognizes as nutrients. Yes, I still love Five Guys Burger & Fries and Costco Pizza and if you sat either of them in front of me, I'd have a hard time saying no. I might even indulge in them. But as my friend Jeff says, "it's a treat not a cheat." I don't have anything against meat (although I am avoiding red meat), it's just that organic meats cost more than what I'm willing to pay, and I feel just as satisfied doing what I'm doing.

For those doing Weight Watchers: I'm also able to make this work with the plan. I count everything that isn't a zero Points Plus fruit or vegetable. The healthy nuts and oils can add up quick (remember, though, that all fats aren't created equal - there's a big difference between healthy monounsaturated fats like olive oil, coconut oil, avocados, etc., and saturated fats like those found in red meat and french fries). This entire day came in at 25 Points Plus.


BREAKFAST

Green Smoothie: 1/2 mango, handful of baby spinach, 3 stalks of rainbow swiss chard, 1 cup frozen pineapple, 1 Tbls coconut oil, just enough water to make it blend



LUNCH

Red Pepper Soup: small tomato, medium red pepper, 3 pieces sun dried tomatoes, 3 tbls organic hemp hearts, 1/2 clove of garlic, 1 tsp dried oregano, dash salt, splash of water to blend

Cucumber, Pineapple, Jicama Salad: 2 cups of the following combination: 1 jicama (sliced into matchsticks), 1 english cucumber (seeded and sliced diagonally), 1 pineapple (peeled, cored, sliced), handful of chopped cilantro, juice of 2 limes



DINNER

Marinated Vegetable Salad: 1 portobello mushroom - sliced, 1 orange pepper - sliced into matchsticks, 1/2 zucchini - cut into half moon slices, 2 Tbls sliced green onion, 6 oil cured black olives - cut in half; tossed with a dressing made with 2 Tbls cold pressed olive oil, 1 1/2 Tbls apple cider vinegar, 1 tsp coconut aminos (or soy sauce, tamari, etc) pinch garlic powder, pinch dried basil, pinch salt. Toss and let marinate for 5+ hours.


DESSERT

Chocolate Chia Seed Pudding: 2/3 cup homemade coconut milk, 2 Tbls chia seeds, 1 Tbls raw cacao powder (or cocoa powder), 1/2 Tbls raw honey, mixed together. Served with 1 cup strawberries.


UPDATE: based on some concerns that I'm not getting enough nutrients without meat, I thought I'd show you what my total nutrient intake was for this day. I'm also taking the Garden of Life RAW One for Women Daily Supplement and drinking water throughout the day.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...