photo f_recipes.jpg" />

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Apple Spice Cookies

After a record breaking summer for the most 90-degree days in a calendar year, it's so nice to wake up to a crisp and cool morning.

Seriously.

I am so tired of sweating. Ahem, glistening.

I am tired of the drone of fans and window air conditioners (old house; no central air).

I'm tired of shouting to my mother when she's sitting on the couch five feet in front of me.

Not that I'm not grateful for fans and window AC units. Truly, I am. I couldn't imagine summer without them. But the noisssssse!

So I wake up on days like this grateful that I can throw open the windows and let the cool breeze flow in. It makes me want to sit outside with a cup of hot coffee and listen to the acorns drop from the trees. It makes me want to buy a bushel of apples and make pies and cakes and applesauce and cookies. How about you?

Here's a recipe I developed last fall. These are yummy, if I may say so myself. The ingredient list is a bit long, but trust me, it's worth it.


Apple Spice Cookies
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup butter-flavored shortening
1 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 Tbsp maple extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt
3 cups rolled oats
1 cup golden raisins
1 1/2 cups chopped dried apples, divided (I used one 4.5oz bag)
1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts

INSTRUCTIONS
Preheat oven to 350° F.

In a large bowl, cream together the butter, shortening.

Add in dark brown sugar and white sugar and cream.

Add eggs and maple extract extract and beat until smooth.

In a separate bowl, combine the all purpose flour, wheat flour, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and salt; stir into the butter/sugar mixture until just combined.

In a large bowl, mix the oats, raisins, 1 cup dried apples, and walnuts. Dump into the butter/sugar/flour mixture until combined.

Take the remaining 1/2 cup of dried apple slices and cut them into small pieces, approximately a 1/2 inch long. These will go on top of the cookies

Line an ungreased cookie sheet with parchment paper. Using a cookie scoop or a large spoon, form dough into a walnut-sized ball and place on the lined cookie sheet. Place a small piece of dried apple on top of the dough and flatten into a patty.



Bake 11 to 13 minutes, until light and golden. Do not overbake. Let cookies cool for 2 minutes before removing from cookie sheets to cool completely.

Makes approximately 4 dozen cookies. Go ahead. I dare you to eat just one.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...