photo f_recipes.jpg" />

Friday, October 29, 2010

The Tale of Why Erin Hearts Costco

Have I ever told you how much I heart Costco?

I heart Costco. Truly, I do.

You could totally earn the $50 membership fee back in one weekend just by eating the free samples. I have a friend who has a friend who has a cousin (did you get that?) who makes a lunch off of the free food samples. Except he goes to different Costcos so the workers don't pick up on his little trick. Trust me, buddy; they've got your number. Oh, they've got your number.

Do I, as a single woman, need a gallon of ketchup? No. No, I don't. But I want it. Do I buy it? No, no I don't. But I like to look at it in the store. I'll tell you how Costco earns it keep with me, aside from being the giant land of happiness that's been selling Hebrew National hot dogs and soft drinks for $1.50 since I was born...
it's the flowers.


Super awesome flowers for an el cheapo price-o.

My first job was working for Wilhide's Flowers in their now defunct Elkridge shop. Hold your wise cracks. They didn't go out of biz there because of me, OK? I learned quite a bit about flowers thanks to my knowledgeable boss Jan*. I know quality flowers.

Are Costco's roses as good as ones you'd buy in a good flower shop?

No, they aren't.

You truly get what you pay for - well treated flowers designed by an artist. I'll admit it straight up.

Are they good for $15.99 if you're making yourself happy?

YES. Definitely.

I've never been roses girl. I'm more of a wild flower mix with a few roses thrown in. I'd much prefer a big bucket of sunflowers. Which is why I almost knocked an old man over when I saw the buckets of sunflowers at Costco.


One bunch of sunflowers (9) for $8.99. A buck a sunflower? I could totally swing that. I picked up some red tulips too and gave a happy little present to myself.



"Flowers have an expression of countenance as much as men or animals. Some seem to smile; some have a sad expression; some are pensive and diffident; others again are plain, honest and upright, like the broad-faced sunflower and the hollyhock."




~Henry Ward Beecher, Star Papers: A Discourse of Flowers

And there is the tale of why I, Erin Branham, heart Costco. Some day, I shall tell you the tale of why I heart their super ginormous slice of pizza with everything. But I'll save that tale until my diet is over.

So if someone was to up and bring you a bouquet of flowers today, what would you want in your bouquet?

Signature



*Jan works at Simply Beautiful Flowers in Pikesville now. If you're local to Maryland and want a beautiful arrangement, she's the one to call.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...