photo f_recipes.jpg" />

Sunday, November 28, 2010

Martha Stewart's Super Fudgy Brownies

It's my fault we don't have any brownie mixes in the house.

I made two batches a week ago for gifts, and I haven't been to the store yet to replace them.

Oops.

It's no biggie, except my family was craving brownies right then. I volunteered to make some, totally forgetting that I hadn't replaced the mixes.

Double oops.

So, I figured I'd try to make some on my own. Like, from scratch. Yeah. Did you know you could do that? I've always thought that, like, if they make a mix for something, that says whatever you're trying to make is difficult; therefore, you need a mix to make it easy because there's no way on earth you want to try do it on your own much less do the clean up unless you have a truckload of elves waiting in the wings to wash the the pots and pans.

I discovered I've been lied to by myself all these years. Just because they make a mix, doesn't mean it's going to be difficult to do on your own. I had the batter for these made all in about 7 minutes. Easy peasy, and they're SUPER chocolatey, delightful goodness. I used a recipe from Martha Stewart and made some tweaks, like adding in some whole wheat flour, brown sugar, and vanilla. My mom, who usually prefers the box mix, loved 'em.

Warning...you may never go back to a box mix after making these...!

Signature




. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Super Fudgy Brownies
Inspired by Martha Stewart, tweaked by moi



Ingredients:
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1/2 cup all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
1/2 cup whole wheat flour (spooned and leveled)
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup chocolate chips
1 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup light brown sugar
3 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 Tbls vanilla extract
3/4 cup chocolate chips, optional


Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Coat a 9x9, 9x11, or 9x13 square baking pan with non stick cooking spray. Set aside.

In a small bowl, whisk flours, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt; set aside.

In a large microwave safe bowl, place butter and chocolate chips. Microwave butter and chocolate chips on high for one minute. Stir. Place back in microwave at 30 second intervals until butter and chocolate chips are melted.

Add sugar; mix to combine.

Add eggs and vanilla extract; mix to combine.

Add flour mixture; mix just until moistened (do not overmix).

Transfer batter to prepared pan; smooth top.

Optional: Sprinkle chocolate chips on top.

A 9x9 pan will take approximately 45-50 minutes to bake, a 9x11 will take around 35-40 minutes, and 9x13 will take around 30-35 minutes. Remember, these times are approximate and depend on your oven. It's a good idea to set your timer 5 minutes before the approximate time so you don't overbake the brownies. You'll know they're done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few moist crumbs attached.

Enjoy and don't devour the whole pan!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...