photo f_recipes.jpg" />

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Mint Brownie {Jar} Cookies

So I have eight wide mouth quart jars.

Eh, make that seven jars because I'm making soup tomorrow, and I'm going to store the soup in a jar.

So I have seven wide mouth quart jars left over from the case that I bought at WalMart for $11. I used four jars to make my homemade vanilla extract and vanilla sugar. Now...what to do with the rest? My mind immediately went to jar mixes. You know, the jar contains everything needed to make a special delightful treat and all the recipient has to do is butter or water or whatever.

Yesterday morning, I decided to hold an audition for the quart jar mixes because some jar mixes just aren't created equal. I just can't package a bunch of ingredients up in a jar and give it as a gift without making sure the recipe actually works. So I gathered up some recipes to test because now is the time to do it if I'm going to be giving them away at Christmas. I saw this one by Bakerella, but I messed with her recipe a little bit because 1) that's just how I do, and 2) I didn't have plain M&M's on hand.




These cookies were FANTASTIC.

Rich, uber chocoate flavor, rich, minty, rich...and did I mention rich?


Probably should have made them smaller but my little cookie scoop broke (NOOOOOOO!!!), so I'm forced to make big cookies. Oh, poooey! What a shame.

These cookies are a definite jar mix gift candidate, for sure.


If you want the jar mix packing instructions, check out her layering recommendations. In the mean time, if you just want to make a fantastic cookie, I'll show you how to do that.

If you don't have York Pieces on hand, swap them out for Reese's Pieces (chocolate + peanut butter = heavenly realms) and eliminate the mint extract. Or, if you find Coconut M&M's, you could use them and some coconut extract. Or, you could do crushed pretzels, caramel bits, and chocolate chips. There are lots of possibilities to making these bad boys.

The original recipe calls for dumping all the ingredients out of the jar, stirring, and then incorporating the wet ingredients into them. It is a bit tedious to do by hand, so I'm going to write the recipe out as if I was making the recipe from scratch with a mixer because that's probably how I will make these again. However, if you don't feel like getting out the mixer and you want to make your triceps and forearms quake, then by all means, dump the dry ingredients into a bowl, put the wet (butter, extract, and egg) on top and mix away.


Happy baking!

Signature




. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .




Mint Brownie Magic Cookies
Recipe adapted from Bakerella


1/2 cup butter (1 stick), softened
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup white sugar
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp mint extract (if you have it)
1 1/3 cup all purpose flour
1 cup cooking oats
2 Tbls cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup York Pieces
3/4 cup mini chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.

Cream the butter and sugars together until smooth.

Add eggs and vanilla and mix until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.

In a large bowl, stir the flour, oats, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.

Add (in small increments) to the butter mixture. You may need to use a spoon or your hand to get it mixed.

Stir in York Pieces and chocolate chips.

Using a medium cookie scoop that holds 2 Tbls of dough, scoop dough, roll into a ball and gently flatten into a patty. Place cookie dough patties about 2 inches apart.

Bake for 12-14 minutes until top of cookies are dry. Be careful not to over bake. If the edges are dark, they are over baked.






. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Makes: 25 cookies | Serving Size: 1 cookie
Calories: 165 | Fat: 8 | Carbs: 25 | Fiber: 1.2 | Protein: 17

{6 Points+}


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...