photo f_recipes.jpg" />

Friday, July 13, 2012

Cantaloupe, Fig & Olive Salad

As I was making this salad, a thought occurred to me.

It cost $6.99 for the figs you see in this picture. There's no way the old me would have have dropped that for some figs.

The old me, however, wouldn't have balked at dropping that same amount on a Whopper with cheese, fries, and a Diet Coke. As a matter of fact, I might dine at Burger King one day and Wendy's later in the week. And then I would have dinner out with family or friends.

I wouldn't have spent $6.99 for some fresh, organic Brown Turkey figs because they were too expensive, but I would have easily dropped nearly $30 on fast food meals.

Crazy logic, huh?

After eating the fast food - and I enjoyed the taste of every bite - my stomach would feel heavy and full, yet I'd crave something else...something sweet. How could I possibly fit anything else in? But I could. Then I'd get upset with myself for hiding in a parking lot to eat my meal because I didn't want anyone to see me or say anything to me. Physically and mentally I was doing myself zero favors.


This lunch is a stark difference. After eating this salad, I felt good. No guilt for eating it. No need to eat anything else. No mid-afternoon slump. No need to hide what I was eating. I loved the colors; I loved the way it looked; and it made me feel happy. I also loved the added benefit that had for my body.

  • Cantaloupe has one of the highest sources of Vitamin A of any fruit. It's also rich with beta-carotene, potassium, Viatmin C, and B vitamins.
  • Figs have the highest level of calcium of any fruit, plus they are rich with fiber, potassium, iron, B vitamins, and magnesium.

I like to imagine the nutrients working as band-aids to help heal my body. I'm letting the Lupron do its thing, but I'd like to give it as much support as possible. And it feels good to do something positive for myself.

This salad is very free form. If the idea of olives with fruit scares you, feel free to leave them out. I used Black Beldi Olives - a brine cured olive - that is quite salty. I love the burst of salt with the juicy sweetness of the cantaloupe and fig. The basil adds a bit of bright licorice flavor. If you're not a fan of basil, try rosemary or mint. If you want to be extra decadent, drizzle the slightest bit of honey over the fruit. Delicious!

Local to the Baltimore area? I picked the organic cantaloupe, organic figs, and olives up at MOM's Organic Market in Jessup.

Cantaloupe, Fig & Olive Salad 
1/4 cantaloupe, sliced thinly
3 figs, quartered
4 olives, quartered
1 Tablespoon sliced almonds
2 fresh basil leaves, torn
pinch of black pepper 
On a plate or to go container (like me), lay the thinly sliced cantaloupe down first. Sprinkle with black pepper to taste. Arrange the fig quarters next. Sprinkle the olives, almond slices, and basil leaves on top. 
Eat in freedom and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...