photo f_recipes.jpg" />

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Astronomy Geek Alert

click on the picture to see it larger

I was a proud astronomy geek last night.

I admit it.

I wasn't a full on astronomy geek though.

Full on astronomy geeks never went to bed. They stayed up the entire night watching the lunar eclipse. I'm not worthy to be one of them. I set my alarm to take a couple of pictures as it was happening.

An interesting little piece of history, the last lunar eclipse to happen on the day of the winter solstice was in 1638. Pretty cool to witness something that last happened 372 years ago, isn't it?


click on the picture to see it larger

I'm so glad I got up to check this out. The stars seemed extra brilliant and it really was a breathtaking sight to see. The moon, early in the evening, was bright and big. I got up around 2AM and saw the moon almost fully eclipsed. I was up around 3AM again and the moon was a giant orange ball. It was seriously incredible. You can look at pictures of it happening, but there's something about being there, out in the cold, your hands feeling like they're about to fall off because you forgot to put on gloves but it doesn't really matter because the moon and the stars and the skies are just breathtaking. And then knowing that it's the same moon I believe God's fingertips formed? The same moon He hung in the sky for us to see?

Yeah.

I'm just in awe.


Signature

3 comments:

  1. :-D What a lovely Christmas Present to us all, thanks for the sacrifice Erin-girl! I saw it around 3 myself but didn't think to take pictures! The longest, darkest night of the year certainly gave a spectacular show!

    "God made the two great lights, the greater light to govern the day, and the lesser light to govern the night; He made the stars also." Genesis 1:16 NASB

    ReplyDelete
  2. The dark circles of the moon are in different spots from 1 a.m. to 3:30 a.m. Is that because of the earth's rotation or the moon's rotation? Does the moon even rotate? Never noticed that before but then again, I've never seen such cool pics before. AWESOME

    Annie : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool! Thanks for getting up and taking pictures for us lazy heads who were sleeping! Very beautiful! Sue and Savannah (from the Music Boat)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...